Details on the situation of several quarantine pests in Hungary in 2000
The NPPO of Hungary has recently informed the EPPO Secretariat of the situation of several quarantine pests in 2000 (the 1999 situation was presented in EPPO RS 2000/100).
- Cryphonectria parasitica (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): occurred on 5 sites (58 ha). The infested area did not increase significantly. Production sites of propagating material are free from it. Present: only in 5 sites.
- Diabrotica virgifera (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): as already reported in EPPO RS 2001/003, it continued to spread towards the north. In 2000, pheromone and yellow sticky traps caught a total of 16211 beetles in 15 counties. Larval damage was noted, mainly in monoculture maize, on 3130 ha in Baranya, Bács-Kiskun and Csongrád counties. Control methods against the adults were applied in more than 1000 ha in 2000. Present: in 15 counties.
- Ditylenchus dipsaci (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): an isolated focus was observed in 1 place in Maroslele (Csongrád county), on growers’ propagation material of garlic in storage. Present: only at 1 site (in Csongrád county).
- Erwinia amylovora (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): was found in 18 counties (in 18234 private gardens and on 3780.35 ha of orchards, corresponding to 295150 infected trees). One nursery was found infected at Alsótekeres (already infected in 1999), in Fejér county. All other nurseries were found free from fireblight and are subject to regular phytosanitary inspections. Present: in 18 counties, found in only 1 nursery.
- Globodera rostochiensis (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): infested soils and crops were found on 41 isolated areas (442.6 ha) which were placed under quarantine. Present: only at 41 isolated sites.
- Helicoverpa armigera (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): occurred on maize crops in 26 isolated places (701.5 ha). Present: only at 26 isolated sites.
- Puccinia horiana (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): was observed in 1 place (0.1 ha) in Kiskunhalas (Bács-Kiskun county) in a grower’s garden. Present: only at 1 site.
- Ralstonia solanacearum (EPPO A2 quarantine pest): as already reported in EPPO RS 2000/130, the bacterium was found in Hungary. In 2000, R. solanacearum was detected in 1 place on seed potatoes (16.5 ha at Hajdúszoboszló - Hajdú-Bihar county) and in 6 places on ware potatoes (total of 91.8 ha; at Jászberény (Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok county); Újfehértó and Rakamaz (Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county); Nádudvar, Nagyhegyes, Hajdúszoboszló (Hajdú-Bihar county)). Infested areas are submitted to regular phytosanitary inspections. Present: only in six very limited areas, under eradication.
NPPO of Hungary, 2001-05.