International Symposium on Management of Alien Species for Sustainable Development of Aquaculture and Fisheries (MALIAF), Florence, IT, 2008-11-05/07
The international symposium on Management of Alien Species for Sustainable Development of Aquaculture and Fisheries (MALIAF) will be held in Florence (IT) on 2008-11-05/07. This symposium is open to scientists engaged in research on invasive alien species, practitioners, stakeholders and regulatory agencies. It aims to propose strategies for effective management of aquatic ecosystems and for the mitigation of risks posed by invasive alien species.
The themes developed will be the following:
- reviews of introductions of aquatic alien species in different environments, countries and regions
- impacts (environmental, ecological, social and economic) arising from the introduction of non-native aquatic species
- aquaculture and aquaculture-related operations involving non-native species
- analysis of the reasons for the use of introduced species
- constraints in establishing good practices in the introduction of aquatic species
- dispersal mechanisms from aquaculture-related activities
- risk assessment and management
- quarantine procedures
- recommendations on potential mitigation-remediation procedures and contingency plans.