EPPO GD Desktop: a new version has been released
EPPO GD Desktop is the 'off-line' version of the EPPO Global Database (GD). It is a piece of software which first needs to be installed on personal computers. Once installed, no Internet connection is needed to run it. A new version of EPPO GD Desktop was released on the 2021-03-23.
Contents of GD Desktop
This software contains the following data which is directly extracted from GD:
- Basic information for many species (more than 90 000) that are of interest to agriculture, forestry and plant protection (scientific names, synonyms, common names, taxonomic position and EPPO Codes).
- Geographical distribution for more than 1 700 pests of regulatory interest (including invasive alien plants) with world maps.
- List of host plants of regulated pests.
- Categorization (quarantine status) of pests.
- Articles of the EPPO Reporting Service (since 1974).
- Photos of plants and pests (more than 11 000).
- EPPO GD Desktop does not contain EPPO Standards, PRAs and other EPPO pest-specific documents (these are only available via GD https://gd.eppo.int or the EPPO website www.eppo.int).
- EPPO GD Desktop can be downloaded as a FULL or LITE version. The FULL version contains all available images of plants and pests (same as in GD), and as a consequence is a heavier installation file. The LITE version only contains 1 selected image for each plant or pest to reduce the size of the installation file.
How to install and update GD Desktop
To install and update GD Desktop, an Internet connection will be needed. In the EPPO Global Database (https://gd.eppo.int):
- Click on ‘EPPO GD Desktop’ in the green menu bar.
- Choose the version you wish to install: FULL or LITE / Install package (.exe) or Zip package (.zip).
- Follow the instructions.
Once installed, you will be able to run GD Desktop on your computer without any Internet connection. The date of your current version of the software will be indicated on the first screen. When an Internet connection is available and if a newer version of the software has been released, you will be automatically proposed to update GD Desktop.
Users should recall that as GD Desktop cannot be updated in real-time, the online version (EPPO Global Database) should be used to obtain the latest information.
EPPO Secretariat (2021-03).