First confirmed report of Globodera rostochiensis in Egypt
From 2012 to 2016, a survey on cyst nematodes was conducted in 3 Egyptian governorates (Alexandria, El-Behera and Sogha). During this survey, 178 soil and root samples were collected and studied in the laboratory. Results showed the presence of the following 9 cyst nematodes which were identified on the basis of their morphology:
- Globodera rostochiensis (EPPO A2 List) on Solanum tuberosum (potato)
- Heterodera avenae on Triticum aestivum (wheat)
- H. daverti on Trifolium alexandrinum (Egyptian clover)
- H. goldeni on Panicum coloratum (qasabagrass)
- H. lespedezae on T. alexandrinum (Egyptian clover) and Lens esculenta (lentil)
- H. leuceilyma on Cynodon dactylon (Bermuda grass)
- H. schachtii on Brassica oleracea var. capitata (cabbage) and Beta vulgaris (sugar beet)
- H. trifolii on T. alexandrinum (Egyptian clover)
- H. zeae (formerly EPPO Alert List) on Zea mays (maize) and T. aestivum (wheat)
G. rostochiensis was found in samples collected from El-Nobarria in the El-Behera governorate. There had been some unconfirmed reports of G. rostochiensis in the past, but these studies are the first confirmed report of this nematode in Egypt.
The situation of Globodera rostochiensis in Egypt can be described as follows: Present, presence confirmed during surveys (2012-2016) in the El-Behera governorate.
Ibrahim IKA, Handoo ZA, Basyony ABA (2017) The cyst nematodes Heterodera and Globodera species in Egypt. Pakistan Journal of Nematology 35(2), 151-154 via PestLens.