Fruit fly situation in USA
- On 1988-09-26/10-03, 35 adult Ceratitis capitata (EPPO A2 List) and 36 larvae were detected near Culver City, Los Angeles County, California. Bait spraying was followed by release of sterile males.
- On 1988-12-02, APHIS/PPQ announced that flies collected in 1986 and 1987 at Duram, New Hampshire, were identified as Rhagoletis meigenii (new to North America). The species has become successfully established. It feeds on barberry and is not considered to be a significant pest.
- On 1989-06-12, Ceratitis capitata (EPPO A2 List) was declared eradicated from USA.
- Between 1989-07-20 and 1989-08-08, a total of 37 adults and 28 larval Ceratitis capitata (EPPO A2 List) were found within a 10 km2 area in Los Angeles County, California. Malathion bait sprays are again being applied, followed by release of sterile males.
- On 1989-07-28, a single Anastrepha striata (EPPO Al Lis t) was trapped in Los Angeles County (California). The species occurs across the border in Northern Mexico. Trapping has been intensified.
- In 1989, a total of 26 Dacus dorsalis (EPPO Al List) have been detected in California. A male annihilation spot treatment is being conducted in 3 separate areas on Los Angeles County.
APHIS/PPQ International Programs.