Creation of the Near East Plant Protection Organization (NEPPO)
The Agreement for the establishment of the Near East Plant Protection Organization was signed in 1993 in Rabat and entered into force on 2009-01-08. Ten countries have deposited their instruments of ratification or accession with FAO. These countries are: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Pakistan, Sudan, Syria, and Tunisia. The Agreement has been signed by Mauritania and Yemen but not yet ratified.
NEPPO is structured as follows:
- Chairman (elected): Dr Mohamed ElHaj AlOOBA (Minister of Sudan)
- Vice-Chairman (elected): Dr Hassan Kacem Mohamed BEKHEIT (Egypt)
- Executive Director (appointed): Mr Mekki CHOUIBANI (Morocco)
- Executive Committee (elected): Algeria, Jordan, Libya, Pakistan, Syria, Tunisia.
NEPPO, as a Regional Plant Protection Organization (RPPO), will play an important role in the international cooperation and in the implementation of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) which aims to secure a common and effective action to prevent the spread and introduction of pests of plants and plant products while facilitating exchanges.
As stated in Article IX of the IPPC, the main functions of NEPPO include the following:
- Participation and coordination of the NPPO activities in order to promote and implement the objectives of the IPPC
- Cooperation within the regions in promoting harmonized phytosanitary measures
- Collection and dissemination of information, in particular on topics which relate to the IPPC
- Cooperation with the Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM) and the IPPC Secretariat in developing and implementing the International Standards on Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs)
- Harmonization of phytosanitary measures, together with the 9 other RPPOs, in order to control pests and prevent their introduction and/or spread, and to promote the establishment and use of appropriate ISPMs.
The provisional address of NEPPO is:
Avenue Hadj Ahmed Cherkaoui,
Tel: + 212 537 676 536
Tel: + 212 537 676 536
Personal communication with Mr Chouibani, Executive Director of NEPPO (2010-11).
Agreement for the establishment of the Near East Plant Protection Organization (FAO Legal Office). http://www.fao.org/Legal/treaties/024t-e.htm