A research project to manage Elodea canadensis in Finland
A research project starting in 2010 and ending in 2012 has been launched in Finland on the invasion of Elodea canadensis in the Kuusamo district by the University of Oulu, the Kuusamo town, the University of Helsinki and The Royal Tropical Institute. The main aims of the project are:
- to investigate and map the current status of the E. canadensis invasion in the Kuusamo area;
- to survey the effects of the E. canadensis invasion on threatened and rare macrophytes of the area;
- to study dispersal factors and vectors of E. canadensis;
- to investigate the factors affecting the invasive behaviour of E. canadensis in Kuusamo;
- to study factors affecting the overwintering of the species.
This study is designed to help the local environment authorities to select the most appropriate management methods against this invasive aquatic plant.
Finish Environment Institute Website, Invasion of Elodea canadensis in Kuusamo district- causes, consequences and mitigation measures. http://www.ymparisto.fi/default.asp?contentid=366096;lan=fi;clan=en