Recent activities on invasive alien plants in Spain
The river basin bodies which are responsible for in water management have created their own working group on invasive alien species in continental waters. The following river catchment are being monitored or are subject to control actions for the following invasive alien plants:
- On the Guadalquivir river basin, control methods are being tested on Eichhornia crassipes (Pontederiaceae, EPPO A2 List) and Elodea spp. (Hydrocharitaceae).
- On the Guadiana river basin, Eichhornia crassipes (Pontederiaceae, EPPO A2 List) is being monitored and is subject to control actions.
- On the Jucar river basin, monitoring is in progress on Arundo donax (Poaceae). Occasional work has been carried out to control Ludwigia grandiflora (Onagraceae, EPPO A1 List) and Lemna spp. (Araceae).
- On the Miño-Sil river basin, occasional control actions against Acacia dealbata (Fabaceae, EPPO List of invasive alien plants), Azolla filliculoides (Salviniaceae, EPPO Observation list of invasive alien plants) and Eichhornia crassipes (Pontederiaceae, EPPO A2 List) has been undertaken. Work with volunteers and awareness campaigns have also been carried out.
- On the Segura river basin, a specific treatment has been developed to control Arundo donax (Poaceae) as the plant is affecting infrastructures.
Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats (2013) Implementation of recommendations on invasive alien species. National reports and contributions. Bern Convention group of experts on invasive alien species, Alghero, Sardinia, Italy (20-22 June 2013), pp 72-75.